Our View: You asked who’s next, here’s our top choice

Editors

Doug Martin finished his last game with the Flashes with a 28-6 win over Ohio. Now that his tenure is over, we think Pete Rekstis should take his place.

We’ve said our goodbyes to Doug Martin, whether in person or in our thoughts, and are now curiously looking ahead to see who will take his place. Kent State’s record isn’t exactly something to be proud of, but the team has talent. Martin’s recruited strong classes that have turned out NFL-caliber players. So who has it in him to pick up the reins, fill the empty shoes and turn Kent State football around? Our current top pick: Pete Rekstis.

Rekstis is the defensive coordinator for the Flashes and top pick for head coach by the team. He served under Martin all seven seasons of his reign and helped push Kent State rushing defense into the number seven spot in the nation this season.

Senior defensive end Monte Simmons said in a story reported by Lance Lysowski, “Coach Reksis has always instilled in us attitude and discipline. We played the way he coaches us, and for him to get that opportunity, it would go throughout the whole team.

Coach Rekstis always harped on us to share with our offense…With him in that position to give his energy, not to just us as defense, but to the whole team, I think that would be amazing. People would be able to see that heart and that passion and why we feel the way we feel on defense.”

Needless to say, the players are on board.

As for a Martin replacement, the Athletic Department could also probably benefit from a little less controversy. Martin often stirred up debate with some of his choices. He often vigorously defended his players, once encouraging Kent residents to storm the NCAA and burn the place down if running back Eugene Jarvis was not granted another season. He also offered scholarships to players who did not receive offers from any other Division-I schools, frequently bringing into question whether these players were deserving.

Regardless of Martin’s success or downfalls, Rekstis seems to be the best man to lead the Flashes next year.

The above editorial is the consensus opinion of the Daily Kent Stater editorial board.