Third student dies from Chardon High School shooting

News-Herald

A Cleveland hospital says another student wounded in an Ohio high school shooting has died, bringing the death toll to three.

MetroHealth Medical Center said Tuesday that Demetrius Hewlin died Tuesday morning. He had been in critical condition.

Hewlin was a student at Chardon High School and was among several shot by a gunman in the school cafeteria Monday morning.

Hewlin’s family said in a statement he was a happy young man who loved life and his family and friends.

This comes after Russell King Jr., 17, of Chardon was pronounced brain-dead late Monday night at MetroHealth Medical Center in Cleveland, following Monday’s shooting incident , officials have said.

From the Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner’s Office: “There are two sets of criteria that maybe employed in the declaration of death. Traditionally the cessation of cardiac and respiratory function have been used to make a pronouncement of death.”

King had been flown to MetroHealth after he was shot earlier that day, the Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner’s Office said.

King, a junior at Auburn Career Center, is one of five victims of a shooting rampage that took place at the start of the school day Monday at Chardon High School.

King’s family released the following statement:

“We would like to thank the public for their continued support. We would also like to extend our sympathy to the families of the victims of this senseless tragedy. We ask that Russell be remembered for who he was, a strong boy with a big heart. He will be missed by many. He was so full of life and we are honoring his wishes to help others by donating his organs. Please respect our privacy during this difficult time.”

A third victim, Daniel Parmertor, 16, died of his wounds at MetroHealth Monday.

On Tuesday afternoon, it was announced that Parmertor’s funeral mass will be 10 a.m. Saturday at St. Mary’s of Chardon, 401 North St. in Chardon.

Two other victims remain hospitalized. Joy Rickers, 18, and Nickolas Walczak, 17, another Auburn junior, remain at Hillcrest Hospital in Mayfield Heights.

The suspected gunman, identified by an anonymous official in the investigation, is 17-year-old T.J. Lane, who was apprehended shortly after the incident. He appeared before Judge Timothy Grendell at 3:30 p.m. Tuesday in Geauga County Juvenile Court for a detention hearing.

Lane reportedly is being held at the Juvenile Portage-Geauga County Detention Center in Ravenna.

Classes are canceled for the entire school district today and grief counselors will be made available to students and staff, Superintendent Joe Bergant said Monday. Classes will resume Friday, Bergant said Tuesday. A number of vigils also are planned.

Contact News-Herald at [email protected].