University student becomes LeBron James’ I PROMISE program’s first graduate

Abigail Kress
Anthony Claytor, part of the LeBron James Family Foundation’s I Promise Program, gradated in May 2024.

Kent State’s Anthony Claytor has become the first graduate in the oldest I PROMISE class, a LeBron James Family Foundation program that helps students succeed in school through support and mentorship.

Claytor said going to Kent State opened a new path for him and gave him the opportunity to pursue bigger dreams.

The LeBron James Family Foundation and Kent State University guaranteed tuition to Claytor’s class in 2020 when he was a high school junior.

Graduating college two years ahead of his class, he has earned a degree in criminology and justice studies with a minor in sociology.

Toni Montgomery, I PROMISE Institute director, said his early graduation exceeded all expectations and speaks to his character and dedication.

“Being able to see the young man that he’s developed into and what he’s been able to accomplish on his own has been pretty neat,” Montgomery said.

Anthony Claytor is now pursuing enrollment with a federal agency. (Abigail Kress)

Claytor committed to the program in third grade. Montgomery, who has known him since 2017, said he has grown into a charismatic man in the humblest way.

“He’s a very reserved individual, but you could tell that he was soaking up everything, all the knowledge and advice that was being shared with him,” Montgomery said.

With his degree, Claytor said he is now pursuing enrollment with a federal agency, something he has always wanted to do.

He was a leader in the CommUNITY Lab living-learning community during his time at Kent State, which he said connects students to resources like tutoring and financial help to keep them on track to graduate.

Claytor said he loved living the life of a college student, meeting new people and being on campus.

“I got this opportunity and I took full advantage of it, and I felt great about myself. I felt accomplished,” Claytor said.

He said he liked being able to set the “stepping stones” for other students in the program.

To other students in the program, Claytor said, “Follow up your journey, keep your promise, and it’s going to be great down the line. It always gets better at the end of the tunnel.”

Lauren Cohen is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].