Resolution funds M.A.C. Center project

0914 MACC

Angelo Angel

Construction is underway on the Kent State Athletic Training and Education Center, a facility that will benefit student athletes. The building occupies a 10,000 square-foot area behind the M.A.C. Center, and will be a two-story center. 

According to an August press release from Kent State Athletics, the facility will also provide opportunities for joint research projects and collaboration from other academic departments.

In the news release, Director of Athletics Joel Nielsen expressed eagerness for the renovation project.

“We are thrilled with President Warren and the university’s support for this project as it is truly in sync with her vision of ‘students-first’ as we address the health and safety of our student-athletes,” Nielsen said. “Certainly, this facility will be an excellent recruiting tool which will help attract the best and brightest because it will improve performances across the board.”

According to Kent State’s Office of the University Architect, the construction has a $4,326,500 price tag. The building was officially approved by the Board of Trustees during a meeting last Friday.

Senior Associate Vice President of Finance and Administration Lisa Reifsnyder said the project was estimated at $3 million, and the funding would come from a fund designated for facility maintenance and renovation.

“I believe that the athletic department is also talking with donors about potential funding opportunities,” Reifsnyder said, “which would reduce or eliminate the need for the facility’s funds.”

In September, the board stated that the university would renovate the four racquetball courts and the two-story space on the second floor used for strength training and wellness programs, into a completely new sports medicine center.

The center will provide student athletes with high-speed equipment and facilities such as a cryotherapy unit, rehabilitation pools and an underwater treadmill.

The resolution also stated, that due to the size and age of the M.A.C. Center Annex, the board adopted language that would allow the university to repair aging infrastructure. The repair project would take place over the next several years and include areas such as the roof over the Athletic Training and Education Center, as well as nearby classrooms and public corridors.

Construction on the building is currently slated to be completed this month by the university and will be open to the public on Oct. 1. Individuals can tour the facility during its open house hours set to run from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. during Homecoming Weekend.

Angelo Angel is a senior reporter, contact him at [email protected].