Freshman enrollment closed for fall 2014

Kristen Kobe

The demand to be a part of Kent State University’s 2014 freshmen class has forced university admissions to close enrollment for the Kent campus more than six weeks earlier than last year.

“Kent reached capacity with housing on campus and we don’t want to admit more students than we have room for,” said University Provost Todd Diacon. 

“If we admitted everyone wanting to come we would diminish the student experience,” Diacon said.  “We need to manage the size of the freshman class based off of the greatest number we can enroll and still preserve a positive campus experience.”

T. David Garcia, associate vice president for enrollment management, said most universities, including Kent State, will surpass the enrollment fee deadline of May 1, but for the first time ever Kent abided by the national deadline.

“Kent State is no longer a university that you can get into last second,” Garcia said. “Applications have increased by about 10,000 more than 5 years ago. The university has been building the freshmen academic profile by upping criteria in admissions.”   

On average, the university receives 22,000 applications and 11,000 students are usually accepted.

Mark Ledoux, associate director of admissions, said the number of students who have committed to Kent State for the fall 2014 semester is about 4,500. This number, he said, is most likely to change between now and the start of the fall semester.   

Garcia said Kent is becoming more and more selective of who it chooses, and the GPA is the highest it has ever been and the university wants to continue to bring students in who will retain it. 

“There is a reason why we are here and we are sending the message to the next incoming class,” Garcia said. “It puts us on that next level of being selective.” 

Due to the cap on enrollment for the Kent campus, any other student who applies will have the option of attending one of Kent State’s regional campuses located throughout Northeast Ohio. Applicants are also able to attend the Kent campus in the spring of 2015.   

“When students go to a regional campus they can do their general education courses while paying a lower tuition,” Diacon said. “It’s a sign that we are much desired and we like that.” 

Contact Kristen Kobe at [email protected].