Our View: Remembering May 4, 1970

DKS Editors

Each year marks another anniversary of the May 4 shootings at Kent State. From alumni to incoming freshmen, everyone has heard the story of that tragic day in 1970.As time passes, students are likely more eager to put the past behind them and hope their university is remembered for more than an incident that occurred 43 years ago.Although most current students were not alive on that day, its significance and impact on our university and generation cannot be forgotten.Around the country we are reading stories about college students who are fed up with the state of affairs at their universities, and they are taking action.With picket signs, petitions, sit-ins and demonstrations, they are not unlike those students who gathered in 1970 to unite over a common opposition to Nixon’s Cambodian Campaign.Our generation can remember those photos of the Occupy Wall Street protestors who, just a few years ago, were sprayed in the face with pepper spray by police officers while participating in a demonstration.More recently, we can read all about those students who protested homophobia and sexual assault at Dartmouth University and received threats of rape and death for it.The backlash against protesting is clearly nothing new, but it shouldn’t scare us from taking a stand against what we feel is wrong or what should change. The events that occurred on May 4, 1970 resulted in nation-wide protests themselves and banded people together, once more, under a common belief.We encourage students to make a visit to the May 4 Visitors Center to learn more about the events surrounding May 4, and to read our coverage in tomorrow’s Stater. Although Kent State has built up its legacy since that day 43 years ago, we can’t sweep it under the rug. Its impact affects us, and its historic significance can be used to teach others and learn more ourselves.The above editorial is the consensus opinion of the Daily Kent Stater editorial board.