Our View: Making history

DKS Editors

Summary: An eventful semester made it the best time ever to be a Golden Flash.

It’s been a historic semester for Kent State.

President Barack Obama’s visit Sept. 26 marked the first presidential visit to Kent in 100 years. William Taft’s visit was the most recent time that a president had actually stopped in our city.

Flashes football also made historic strides with its first bowl game invitation in 40 years. That, combined with the longest winning streak in team history, 10 games, made this the most exciting football season in our memory.

Celebrities like Jack Black and Olivia Munn specifically made their way to campus to promote student voting in Ohio, the swing state of swing states for the 2012 presidential election. They weren’t here to perform or speak in the KIVA. They were here because our university and its students mattered. We had the ability to make the difference.

The Board of Trustees approved a $170 million renovation plan that will include new research labs, a new building for the College of Architecture and Environmental Design, a renovation and consolidation of the six School of Art buildings, a new building for the College of Applied Engineering, Sustainability and Technology, and renovations to the Center for Undergraduate Studies.

In addition to those coming projects, the downtown revitalization efforts received an Ohio Economic Development Association award for Best Project in the State for 2012.

It is an exciting time to be at Kent State, and our hope is these great milestones continue to occur. If you feel like your semester has reduced itself to final exams and papers, take a moment to re-evaluate. The Flashes’ bowl game is scheduled for Jan. 6; businesses downtown continue to open as the revitalization project advances; and many other changes on and around campus are still to come.

It has been an incredible semester to be a Golden Flash. We just made history.

The above editorial is the consensus opinion of the Daily Kent Stater editorial board.