Soccer: Win over Ball State and loss to Miami

Freshman Goal Keeper Stephanie Senn sits in the goal area after the Miami Red Hawks score their third goal against the Goldern Flashes on Sunday. Kent State was unable to defeat the Red Hawks, losing the game 4-2. Photo by Coty Giannelli.

Erika Brun

The Golden Flashes split the weekend of Mid-American Conference by defeating Ball State University and losing to Miami University.

Kent State beat Ball State 2-0 with two goals by junior Jaclyn Dutton. Freshman goalkeeper Stephanie Senn had four saves against the Cardinals with her third shutout of the season. The match included seven cards and an ejection on Ball State.

“I thought we came out really strong, which was good. We obviously didn’t like [the] outcome from the previous weekend in the MAC,” Dutton said.

Dutton scored the first goal in the 19th minute after she passed a Ball State defender, bringing out the goalkeeper who took out Dutton’s legs from beneath her, granting the Flashes a penalty kick. Dutton also scored the second goal of the game, which was her tenth of the season.

“Second goal was a bunch of people moving around, Sara headed it on and I flicked it onto Jackie,” sophomore Stephanie Haugh said. “She ran through the gap, beat the goalie and hit a nice ball off the crossbar.”

Miami RedHawks took the Flashes 4-2 with the score tied at 1-1 at the end of the first half. Senn had a total of five saves and the team took a total of 15 shots with a total of seven shots on goal.

“Obviously we didn’t come out with the result we wanted today but it comes down to we just have to be tighter on our matches individually,” senior Hannah Newhouse said. “People just have to step it up a little more on our defensive third and little more sacrifice there.”

The RedHawks scored first in the 29th minute from five yards out. Kent equalized the score in the 37th minute with a goal on the right side from Newhouse assisted by Haugh and senior Megan Repas.

Miami scored again in the 56th minute from 10 yards out, taking the lead until freshman Kathrine Beattie scored her first goal of the season. Beattie was fed the ball from Dutton seven yards in the box just seven minutes after Miami.

Scoring again in the 70th and 87th minute, Miami finished the game two goals ahead of the Flashes.

“I was really proud [of] how they came back and fought; but again those small, little, crucial moments [—] we could have done a little bit better,” head coach Rob Marinaro said. “… I love our team spirit and how hard they work and I can’t ever say they’re not giving enough because they’re working real hard out there.”

The Flashes host Buffalo at 4 p.m. Friday on Zoeller Field and then travel to Akron on Sunday to play at 1 p.m.

Contact Erika Brun at [email protected].