Downtown Kent to hold Story Walk through Halloween for local families

Mason Lawlor Reporter

A children’s book becomes interactive as Main Street Kent kicks off its second annual “Story Walk” today and continues through Oct. 31.  

Cleveland-born author Dav Pilkey’s new book, “The Hallo-Wiener,” will be displayed on storefronts of downtown businesses. Families can follow along page-by-page as they walk through the City of Kent after downloading a map of the 15-store route from the Main Street Kent website.  

Main Street Kent’s Executive Director Heather Malarcik is looking forward to the event, citing its family-friendly appeal.      

“The Story Walk is an opportunity for people to enjoy the fresh fall air and walk through downtown Kent, reading the story in the business windows at their own pace,” she said. “We hope kids will get dressed in Halloween costumes and go out to read the story with their families.”  

After last year’s Story Walk was a success, downtown executives felt this season was especially a great time to repeat the concept, as other mass gatherings are being cancelled after Portage County returned to Level 3 risk of COVID-19 spread last week.  

“When we cancelled our Family Friendly Halloween event, our committee came up with this as a safe, fun alternative for the community to enjoy,” Malarcik said.  

Among the participating businesses are Tree City Coffee, Woodsy’s Music and Kent Cheesemonger. The book will start at Red Letter Days at 144 East Main St. and the route will end at McKay Bricker Framing at 141 East Main St.  

“We hope people will mask up and stop in to buy lots of treats along the way,” Malarcik said.  

After completing the walk, participants will sign an online guest book where they can enter a raffle to win one of 10 hardcover copies of “The Hallo-Wiener” signed by Dav Pilkey.   

Main Street Kent will also make a donation to the Rough Riders Read Program, which encourages reading by offering free books at events across the city.     

Mason Lawlor covers the City of Kent. Contact him at [email protected].

SUPPORT STUDENT MEDIA 

Hi, I’m Lauren Sasala, a senior journalism student from Toledo. I’m also the editor in chief of The Kent Stater and KentWired this semester. My staff and I are committed to bringing you the most important news about Kent State and the Kent community. We are full-time students and hard-working journalists. While we get support from the student media fee and earned revenue such as advertising, both of those continue to decline. Your generous gift of any amount will help enhance our student experience as we grow into working professionals. Please go here to donate.