Kent State student arraigned, trial date set for fake ID case

Julie Sickel

One of the Kent State students arrested in connection with a fake ID shipment was arraigned Monday at the Portage County Common Pleas Court.

Antonino Bucca, 20, was arraigned in Judge Laurie Pittman’s court on three counts each of forgery, identity fraud and telecommunications fraud, all felonies in the fifth degree.

Bucca posted a $5,000 recognizance bond at the arraignment. His criminal trial is scheduled for 9 a.m. Aug. 30. If convicted on all three charges, Bucca could serve three years in prison.

A grand jury indicted the co-defendant in the case, Drew Patenaude, 20, April 11 on three counts each of forgery, identity fraud and telecommunications fraud. Patenaude was then arraigned in Pittman’s court April 12. He also could serve three years in prison on the fifth-degree felony charges.

Patenaude’s attorney, Michael Giulitto, filed a motion Thursday to modify his $40,000 bond so Patenaude could return to his hometown, Allentown, Pa., before his Aug. 30 trial.

“The defendant states that he has no prior criminal record whatsoever, and that he will finish this semester’s classes at Kent State University, where he is a temporary resident of the city of Kent, on or about May 15, 2011,” Giulitto wrote.

Kent Police arrested Bucca, junior accounting major, and Patenaude, junior business management major, March 31 in connection with a shipment of counterfeit IDs intercepted by the United States Customs and Border Protection of Ohio.

Brian Bell, customs spokesman for Ohio, said the 90 IDs recovered were hidden in an electronic device and originated in China.

Prosecutor Victor Vigluicci said his office is still reviewing the case for further charges and future arrests could be made.

Kent Police believe it was the intent of the two students to sell and distribute the IDs to underage students.

— Julie Sickel, Public Affairs Reporter