Web update: Basketball members to appear in court for Campus Pointe brawl

Ashley Sepanski

The five people charged with disorderly conduct in relation to the Campus Pointe brawl will appear in court early December.

Despite the Portage County Sheriff’s Department’s initial report that the investigation would not yield any charges, footage from a Campus Pointe surveillance tape identified five individuals who participated in the fight. Witnesses and police said the fight occurred when around 40 people collided in a Campus Pointe parking lot around 2 a.m. on Sept. 26.

The basketball players charged include freshman forwards Robert Johnson, 19, and Darius Leonard, 19, as well as freshman point guard Eric Gaines, 19. Also charged were Raymond Carter, 23, and Darnell Morgan, 29, of Cleveland. The five have a court date set for 8:15 a.m. Dec. 2 at the Portage County Municipal court.

A report from Portage County Detective Jim Acklin said three basketball members stated Morgan started the fight in a basketball member’s apartment after he threw a bottle at Leonard. Morgan claimed the fight began after someone bumped into him and tried to fight him.

After charges were made, Johnson, Leonard and Gaines received suspensions from two games: a scrimmage against St. Bonaventure University and an exhibition game against Rochester University, said Alan Ashby, director of Kent State athletic communications.

“We want to put it behind us,” he said.

–Ashley Sepanski