Board of Trustees seeks new graduate student member

Nicole Stempak

Graduate students can apply to sit next to university and community leaders and offer advice for potential changes coming to Kent State.

Applications for the non-voting graduate student member of the Board of Trustees are due by 5 p.m. Friday.

Greg Jarvie, associate vice president and dean of students, said the position is a two-year term appointed by the governor.

Applicants must be at least 18 years old, a resident of Ohio and registered to vote. Students must be enrolled in at least six graduate credit hours at the time of application and must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0. Students must also undergo an electronic fingerprinting process and an Ohio criminal background check.

INFOBOX WHY THIS MATTERS TO YOU

If you’re a graduate student, this is your chance to be the closest you can possibly be to all the major decisions at the university. And it would look great on a resumé.

The position is not paid, but Jarvie said it is more about the experience gained.

“It’s a great opportunity to learn about the governing of the university, as well as the state,” he said.

Gina Spencer, the current graduate student trustee, said the position offers something different than going to class, work or student organization involvement.

“This was an opportunity to gain exposure to the inner workings of Kent State, a way to see the process of an idea or implementing change,” she said.

Spencer said her responsibilities include attending board meetings, serving on two of the board’s four committees and representing the student body at workshops and banquets.

She said about 10 students have e-mailed her questions so far about the application process, conflicts with studies and pros and cons about the position.

“Imagine how intimidating it could be to sit down at an arena with distinguished individuals and the president,” she said of the board meetings. “But it’s not all cut and dry; it’s serious but with some humor.”

Jarvie said applications are available in Room 250 of the Student Center and online at http://www.kent.edu/emsa/Resources/StudentTrustee.cfm.

Contact administration reporter Nicole Stempak at [email protected].