Dual admissions program eases transition from Tri-C

Nicole Stempak

Officials simplify process to attract more students, appeal to diverse array of needs

Students planning to get their associate’s degree at Cuyahoga Community College (Tri-C) and their bachelor’s degree at Kent State now have less paperwork to fill out.

A new dual admissions program will allow students to be admitted to both Tri-C and Kent State or Cleveland State.

“The idea is they don’t have to send duplicate copies of records,” said Nancy DellaVecchia, director of admissions for Kent State.

She said interested students must complete a one-page paper application available at Tri-C. Students are required to complete their associate’s degree before transferring to Kent State, but this program is not limited to specific academic programs.

Tri-C Registrar Mary Kay Weis has received 16 applications since the program was announced in December: 13 from Cleveland State and three from Kent State.

DellaVecchia said the Kent State admissions office will begin hosting orientations at Tri-C in the fall. The goal is to communicate with prospective students early so they don’t get lost in the transfer process.

Application process for new Tri-C students:

&bull Fill out Tri-C’s application

for admissions

&bull Fill out a dual admissions program application

&bull Submit official copies of all relevant academic records and transcripts

&bull Turn all application materials in to Tri-C’s Office of Admissions and Records

“We want them to start with a focus to get their bachelor’s degree in hopes they will complete it,” she said. “The intention is to remove any barriers that might be there that may stop them from continuing to pursue their bachelor’s degree at Kent State University.”

She said the admissions office will be working with the transfer center to evaluate students’ credit hours as they complete their courses, similar to a KAPS report.

Students in the program will have access to services and programs at Kent State that generally are not available until a student transfers to the university. They may also be eligible for transfer scholarships.

DellaVecchia said about 100 students transfer from Tri-C each year, although they transfer at different stages in their studies.

President Lester Lefton said he doesn’t think there will be a dramatic increase in number of transfer students because of the program.

“We don’t expect hundreds and hundreds of kids to do this, but if a dozen do or if two dozen do in any one year, then that’s terrific for those students,” he said.

The advantage to students would be an assurance that “if I do this, then this will automatically happen,” he said. Attending a community college for two years will also lower the cost of education.

Lefton noted Kent State has offices at Lorain County Community College. He also noted these programs aren’t for all students, adding it will probably be most beneficial for working adults and students with full-time jobs.

“The truth is, while we have these relationships and some students take advantage of them, it’s not for everyone,” he said. “There are some students who want the Kent experience. They want to live in a dormitory. They want to play Frisbee.

“… But there’s room for all of this. As an educational institution committed to public service and community engagement, we see offering a range of options for students as a good thing.”

Contact administration reporter Nicole Stempak at [email protected].