Laith Tabbaa

Laith Tabbaa, student body president candidate for USG. 

Student Body President Candidate 

Q: What is your platform?

A: “I am running to represent the study body as President of Kent State University. As your next Student Body President, I would like to be the voice of the people and value all student feedback, while focusing on three main things:

1. The Period Project

2. Diversity around campus

3. Funding for your student organizations

“The first project would expand the Period Project in order to create an equitable campus and address a major need among students who menstruate. 37 percent of students surveyed indicated they have been financially unable to purchase menstrual products on their own. As a result, 98 percent of students said that the Period Project is an asset to the community and should continue. Keeping these resources accessible will improve the quality of life for everyone involved.

“Moreover, as someone who grew up in the United States as a minority, diversity has always played a major role in my life. Arabic people didn’t treat me as Arabic since I moved to the States and many Americans didn’t treat me as an American because of my cultural background. However, when I came to Kent State, nobody questioned that I could call myself a Golden Flash. This washed away all boundaries of culture, nationality, and ethnicity. I would like to emphasize this attitude of full acceptance in our student government.

“Lastly, I want to make sure USG’s funding impacts the highest number of students possible, while also empowering marginalized populations. I served on the Allocations Board and was able to see firsthand what issues trouble students and how to solve them. As the current director of business and finance, I have changed the entire process to ensure students can receive USG funding upfront rather than waiting for weeks. With two full years of experience on USG, I have the knowledge and the fiscal responsibility to ensure that your tuition dollars count. If you cannot judge me by the words written, judge me by the actions I have made as your prior allocations board member and current director of business and finance.”

Q: Why should people vote for you?

A: “I am driven to make our student government representative of all student groups and to base all my decisions upon student feedback. Understanding your needs is my number one priority, which is why I have an open-door policy. I’m in the USG office over 12 hours a week and I encourage all students to contact me about what really grinds their gears. Whether it be expanding access to menstrual products, making sure your tuition dollars are available to you for professional conferences, or advocating on behalf of a streamlined mental health process on campus, I will put my full effort into making your concerns heard by President Diacon. This is your campus; make your voice heard.” 

Q: What changes are you looking to enact?

A: 

• “Expansion of the Period Project/Free menstrual products 

• A One-Stop shop for mental health resources/Accessible emergency counseling

• More unified and inclusive environment within campus 

• Increase campus safety resources to ensure all students are safe

• Work more closely with campus safety administrators and city officials to make sure all students feel safe in Kent

• Make funding more accessible to student groups on campus

• Improve the campus dining experience and focus on sustainable practices”