Fashion accessories take the spotlight at new exhibition

Matthew Brown

The Head to Toe exhibit in the Kent State Fashion Museum is open to visitors as of Feb. 2, 2023.

Sage Mason, Reporter

A new exhibition at the Kent State Fashion Museum shows the journey of fashion history through three of fashion’s most important accessories.

The “Head to Toe” exhibit opened on Feb. 2 and features an extensive collection of hats, coats and shoes. The items date back to the 19th century.

The concept behind the exhibition is to show how accessories play a role in showing persona through outfits.

“The clothing people often see first are, if we are wearing a hat, if we are wearing a coat, and you know, what shoes we are wearing,” said Sarah Rogers, the director of the fashion museum.

The exhibit is split into three parts: “Heads Up! Hats”, “It’s A Wrap! Coats” and “Stepping Out! Shoes.” While each section is dedicated to a different article of clothing, they all focus on the evolution of fashion through time.

The exhibit is open Tuesday through Saturday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sundays from noon to 4 p.m. in Rockwell Hall. Admission is free to anyone with a Kent State I.D.

“I want students to feel welcome here,” Rogers said, “you don’t have to be a fashion major to enjoy the museum and I want people to come and visit.”

For more information please visit the museum’s website.

Sage Mason is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].