Sisters don’t have to be blood related

Irene Bowser, Reporter

Sister Circle, a student organization on campus, empowers women of color.

Alandia Strong, the president of Sister Circle, became a member her sophomore year and developed close relationships with other members since.

“Being a part of this initiative together, you have the same goal,” Strong said. “We show up for each other.”

When Strong joined a sorority, many of her sisters showed up in congratulation. The members of the group support one another throughout all aspects of their life outside of the organization.

“Sisters don’t have to be blood. A lot of us are honest with each other and raw,” said Nina Ali, vice president of Sister Circle.

Ali’s friends in Sister Circle have created a bond where they can account for one another and keep each other motivated. They ensure a safe space for members to talk freely about their lives and problems.

The group hosts Sister Talks, a meeting space for members to share experiences or stories that may not be able to be heard on other parts of the campus. The discussions are personal and inclusive, often raising topics around gender, inclusion on campus or femininity.

Ali said these events are extremely impactful for many members and is one of the most attended events. They allow feedback during the discussions and members appreciate the vulnerability from those who open up and others who listen.

Sister Circle holds meetings every Monday in addition to their regular events. In April, they will host their annual empowerment week April 17-21. It will be filled with workshop events allowing women to be active in the community and socially engage with other women.

An empowerment brunch, which will be open for all women, will feature panelist speakers and interactive workshops toward their mission of knowledge and empowerment for women.

“We produce an environment to be creative and cover topics that may not be brought up in other spaces,” Strong said.

Strong and Ali both started their journey as directors of programming on a board for Sister Circle. They have since worked their way up to becoming executive board members and developed strong friendships along the way. They have seen other committee members grow and advance into executive roles too.

As Strong and Ali near the end of their term as president and vice president, they hope the younger members continue to be active and serve their community through inclusion and engagement.

Strong expects a seamless transition of new executive board members in the upcoming years and is excited for what is to come.

“Seeing the passion and love these girls have for Sister Circle to show up and dedicate their Monday evenings is what I do it for,” Strong said.

Irene Bowser is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected]