Students showcase their singing skills at FAB’s karaoke night

Jillian Flack
Attendees stand on stage singing their favorite tune during FAB’s karaoke event on Sept. 13, 2023.

Over the speakers, “Mr. Blue Sky” and “Breaking Free” from the movie High School Musical echoed from the basement of the Student Center. Upon entry of the Rathskeller, students found themselves immersed in a large crowd joined together as they sang tunes from pop culture hits alongside some lesser-known gems.  

The Flash Activities Board held a two-hour karaoke event Tuesday night where students got the opportunity to hang out with friends while expressing themselves through music.  

Fernanda Reis, a junior graphic design major, said she was not the only one who sang her song of choice, “Billionaire” by Travie McCoy. 

“I felt calm because they [the audience] were singing with me. . . so I felt supported tonight,” Reis said.  “Most of the time, there’s not as many people [as there were tonight] so it’s so much fun. I was feeling good.” 

Throughout the night, the audience cheered on each performer as they belted out their favorite tune. 

“It was really fun to see everyone cheering each other on, cheering for the person singing or clapping at the end,” Hannah Piatt, a senior VCD major and FAB event planning member, said. 

In order to prepare for the event, FAB staff set up different music equipment throughout the day and spent the night announcing each singer before they went on. In addition, they also organized the music during the event. Many students spent time waiting in line to sign up to sing their favorite songs. 

An attendee sings on stage during FAB’s karaoke event on Sept. 12, 2023. (Jillian Flack)

FAB plans to hold several more karaoke nights several more times throughout the semester: Oct. 3, Nov. 14, Nov. 21 and Dec. 5. All will be held from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. 

“This event is so fun. It’s such a laid back event, great for the evening,” Kyralin Kramp, public health major and FAB event planning member, said. “It’s just a great time to like, see all old faces, familiar faces too from each week and it’s just a great event to kind of just hang out with friends and get to know people and just have a good time on stage too.” 

Rebecca Watson, a third-year student with an undecided major, said she has been coming to karaoke since spring break of last semester. 

“I always like picking a new song and every single time, getting the chance to do something different,” she said. 

In addition, Watson said karaoke has helped her become more confident in her ability to sing in front of people. Last night, she sang “Part of Your World” from The Little Mermaid and “Careless Whisper” by George Michael. 

For others, a similar confidence boost has happened to them, with these karaoke nights having several regulars. 

“Come to Karaoke Night, everyone – It’s super fun,” Reis said. “You get to meet new people or just see other people’s talent.”

Jillian Flack is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].