New sources offer sponsorship for summer student researchers

Isabel Illig

The Summer Undergraduate Research Experience on-campus program (SURE) chose 60 student researchers for the summer of 2019, some of whom are being sponsored by departments and research institutes for the first time.

“This year we do have a few students who are being sponsored by departments and research institutes and have been designated fellows of those areas,” Gosky said.

SURE is an opportunity for undergraduate students to gain hands on experience with engaged faculty mentors on campus, according to the SURE website. Student researchers receive free campus housing in Centennial Court, if needed, and a $2,800 stipend.

During the eight-week program, students work with a faculty mentor giving the student a chance to gain experience and the faculty member a chance to advance on research of their own.

Director of the Office of Student Research, Ann Gosky, said 100 people applied and the university is able to fund 60 of them.

SURE begins on June 10th and ends on August 2. 

“Some students may have begun work already and several will continue beyond the end date,” Gosky said.

This program helps participating students prepare for graduate school and stand out from the competition, according to the SURE website. Among other benefits is the ability to enhance academic insight and research skills like critical thinking, creativity, and problem solving.

Last year’s undergraduate researchers represent  28 majors in 10 colleges and seven schools. They are set to present their findings on October 2nd in the Student Center.

Isabel Illig is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected]