Kent State recognized by Tree Campus USA

Tree Campus USA

Kimberly Fisher

Kent State has been recognized by Tree Campus USA for its commitment to maintaining campus trees. This is the 11th year Kent has received this honor.

Tree Campus USA is a program from the Arbor Day Foundation that recognizes colleges and universities who maintain their campus’ trees, develop community connectivity with members to grow healthy urban forests and who use service learning opportunities on and off campus to engage students in forestry efforts, according to their website.

There is a set of five standards that campuses must meet to be considered by Tree Campus USA.

Those standards include having a Campus Tree Advisory Committee made up of students, faculty, faculty management and community members, having a Campus Tree Care Plan, a Campus Tree Program that has dedicated annual expenditures, having Arbor Day observance and having a service learning project.

Kent State was one of the first 29 campuses to be given the title by Tree Campus USA when the program was just starting out, according to a press release from Kent State Office of Sustainability.

Kent State will be adding a Kentucky coffeetree outside of Centennial Court D, 50 trees will be planted around campus and 100 saplings will be added to the Climate Change Grove, close to the Student Recreation and Wellness Center.

Kimberly Fisher is a general assignment reporter. Contact her at [email protected].