College women’s organization Her Campus celebrates 15 years

Members of the Kent State Her Campus chapter at the Her Conference in New York City on June 22, 2024. Courtesy of Molly Acquard.

Members of Kent State’s Her Campus chapter celebrated 15 years of the organization and attended the annual Her Conference June 22.

An online magazine for women, by women, Her Campus chapters are found at over 300 college campuses in the U.S. Each year, hundreds of members meet in New York City for a day of “empowerment and fun,” said Maeve Reilly, Her Campus media events associate.

“Celebrating 10 years of Her Conference and 15 years of Her Campus Media is an amazing milestone,” Reilly said. “It’s been an extra layer of achievement and celebration together as an organization that has grown tremendously over the past decade.”

Members of the organization write articles, stay active on social media and host events on campus, said Molly Acquard, KSU Her Campus senior editor.

But, it goes deeper than that. Acquard said she felt she immediately belonged in the organization, never falling so easily in step with a group of people.

Going into her third semester of Her Campus this coming fall, Acquard described that to her, Her Campus means “pure joy.”

“It means being a woman and showing your true self,” she said. “One of my absolute favorite things about this organization is that we’re all just girls together, which I feel is so beautiful to see.”

Her Conference featured session speakers, panels and brand interactions, all with the goal of empowering women.

“It’s a true testament to the past 15 years of community building to be able to bring hundreds of HC members to NYC,” Reilly said.

Aislinn Foran, the president of Kent State’s chapter of Her Campus, said the highlight of the event for her was getting to chat with the organization’s founders.

Annie Wang, Windsor Hanger Western and Stephanie Kaplan Lewis started Her Campus in their Harvard dorm rooms, Foran said.

“I am so extremely honored to have their support for our chapter and my own personal endeavors,” Foran said. “It was also great to connect and chat with other chapter communities.”

Members also had the chance to hear from keynote speakers Alyah Chanelle Scott, actress, producer and director, and Kelley O’Hara, two-time World Cup champion and Olympic gold medalist.

“To see so many amazing, like-minded women come together for an event as big as Her Conference, it makes the little girl in me smile,” said Acquard. “I know that if I were to look back on my younger self, she would be so proud, not just of me, but of all the women who make this organization possible.”

Lauren Cohen is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].