Kent State announces new scholarship program for in-state students

Rachel Gross Reporter

President Todd Diacon announced a new student aid program aimed to assist more Golden Flashes to get to graduation and limit student debt, according to an emailed press release sent Tuesday.

The “first-of-its-kind” program, called Flashes Go Further Scholarship Program, is available to full-time Kent State students from Ohio including entering freshman through graduating seniors at all Kent State campuses.

The scholarship program will cover all unmet needs for freshman and sophomore students whose Expected Family Contribution is $10,000 or under, as marked on their Federal Student Aid, the press release stated. 

Current juniors and seniors whose EFC is under $10,000 can receive aid in their last semester before graduation to cover these unmet needs through the program. 

Unmet needs include the full cost of tuition, general fees and up to $1,200 a year for books. Students accepted for this program would be able to graduate free of debt for tuition, general fees and books, the announcement stated. 

The program also offers a $2,000 scholarship for in-state and out-of-state students who enroll in a master’s program at Kent State after graduation from the university.

“This program is a testament to our deep commitment to access and completion for all,” Diacon said in the email. “We are consistently recognized nationally for our success in graduating more students. Our graduation rate is already the highest in northern Ohio, but we won’t rest until all students we enroll graduate and succeed in their first jobs after college or enroll in our graduate programs.”

The scholarship program offers more aid to students than comparable programs at other public Ohio universities, building on the university’s national award-winning success in graduating more students, according to the press release.

Information about the scholarship program and eligibility requirements can be found at the Flashes Go Further Scholarship Program website. Visit the university Admissions website for more information about how to apply to Kent State.

Rachel Gross is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected]