College of Nursing Granted 10-year Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education Accreditation

Lexi Marco

Hard work, time, effort and a strong-willed passion drive Kent State’s College of Nursing to its success each year. This year, the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) granted Kent State’s College of Nursing a 10-year accreditation.

The CCNE grants accreditation to colleges and universities across the nation with a maximum renewal number of up to 10 years. Kent State’s College of Nursing’s initial accreditation was granted in 2002. The college currently holds the maximum accreditation status expiring Dec. 31, 2028.

College of Nursing Dean Barbara Broome remains humble and prideful of the college.

“I continue to be impressed by the commitment of my colleagues to provide students with the education to become leaders in the provision of healthcare,” Broome said in a press release. “I am proud to be part of the continuing excellence and leadership that Kent State University College of Nursing provides the region and the world.”

According to its website, CCNE “serves the public interest by assessing and identifying programs that engage in effective educational practices.” The CCNE recognizes baccalaureate and master’s degree programs, as well as nurse residency programs. CCNE accredited Kent State for both of its degree programs, as well as the college’s Doctor of Nursing Practice program and the post-graduate APRN certificate program.

The below graphic depicts the process in selecting and deciding if and when the program receives CCNE accreditation. The cycle repeats every 10 years.

“CCNE accreditation reflects the College of Nursing’s commitment to prepare the very best advanced practice nurses, nurse educators and nurse administrators, which will meet the growing healthcare needs of individuals in Northeast Ohio,” said Associate Dean for Graduate Studies Wendy Umberger in a press release.

Students like Evyenia Spencer, a junior nursing major, feel honored to be part of such a high-esteemed program.

“Part of the reason I chose Kent State was because of how great the nursing program is,” Spencer said. “Now that I am full-force into the program, I can honestly say how amazing it is to be a part of something so special. There’s a sense of pride that comes with being accepted into the nursing program.”

Because of its high accreditation and past success, the nursing program holds high expectations for its students. With a 99.6 percent job placement rate within six months of graduation, students leave the program with adequate preparation for real-world jobs.

“Getting into the nursing program is definitely not easy,” said Victoria Klebe, a senior nursing major. “I feel like everyone knows what they’re getting themselves into once they apply for the program at Kent State, but it’s all worth it in the end. The College of Nursing deserves to continue being recognized and honored.”

Lexi Marco is the health reporter. Contact her at [email protected].