Avant 220 offers students a downtown living experience


The outside of Avant 220, a new apartment complex that opened last year provides alternative housing for students.

Natalie Eusebio

Avant 220 is one of the newest apartment complexes in Kent. With a downtown setting, it offers students a different kind of off-campus living than other local apartments. 

Located at 220 South Depeyster St., Avant 220 opened in July 2016, with tenants moving in just in time for the 2016-2017 school year. 

Senior fashion design major Amber Johnson was one of those tenants. She moved in at the beginning of her junior year.

“When I first moved in, they weren’t done with construction,” said Johnson. “I would look out my window and see someone on a scaffolding.”

Avant 220 provides three different floor plans for residents; micro suites, studios or one bedrooms. Avant 220 has a total of 52 apartments.

Tim Dean is the manager of operations with College Town Kent LLC. He oversees both Avant 220 and The Landmark, another apartment complex located next door to Avant 220.

Dean defined a micro suite as a “smaller than usual apartment.” Avant 220’s micro suites are 400 square feet, and offer tenants a full size bathroom. Appliances are smaller, however. Dean said that the washing machine doubles as a dryer, and the refrigerator is slightly smaller than a standard size refrigerator. 

According to their website, Avant 220 units start at $750.

Johnson lived in a micro suite. While she enjoyed her apartment, she struggled with the small space. 

“It would have been comfortable if I wasn’t a design major,” she said. “I had so many things pertaining to design taking up space, like sewing machines and fabric, otherwise I didn’t mind it.” 

Parking can be an issue for some residents. Avant 220 does not have their own parking. Tenants may keep their cars in the parking deck downtown and pay monthly.

“It was really only a pain when you had to carry groceries,” Johnson said.

Dean feels that Avant 220 gives students a great off campus living opportunity. 

“Students are in walking distance of the university, and they are right downtown to enjoy all of the improvements that have been made in recent years.”

“I never needed to order an Uber, and I was so close to Tree City,” Johnson said of her experience with Avant 220. 

Dean said that Avant 220 is about 70 percent student populated, with professional adults making up the other 30 percent.

Pets are welcome on the second floor of Avant 220 if tenants are willing to pay an extra $30 a month.

“Technically dogs are supposed to be under 50 pounds,” said Dean. “I see some dogs that look a little bigger than that, but I’m not going to ask to weigh anyone’s dog.”

Natalie Eusebio is the commuter and apartments reporter. Contact her at [email protected]