CCI promotes varying perspectives with upcoming Diversity Week

Caelin Mills

The College of Communication and Information is gearing up for its first Diversity Week, with interactive events for students of all backgrounds to get involved with social issues pertinent to them.

Coordinator of CCI’s new Office of Academic Diversity Outreach Amanda Leu said she aims to educate the community on their definition of diversity.

“What we mean when we say diversity, it’s not just race and ethnicity — it’s a huge part, but it’s so much more than that,” Leu said. “It includes students of various racial and ethnic backrounds, spiritual affiliations, members of the LGBTQ community, students with disabilities, both physical and mental with health conditions who need accessibility, first generation students who are the first to go to college, students from a low income background or in a current financial crisis, international students, adult learners, military or veteran students and any students that need an extra layer of support and assistance.”

A wall of oppression will be built in the Student Center, where students can lay a brick expressing an oppressive issue in society that needs to be combated. The wall will be torn down during a ceremony on Fri., April 28, symbolizing how students will get involved to solve these issues.

Students are called to engage in conversation about diversity with others and spread positive, inclusive messages through their social media pages using the hashtag #CCIDiversity.

On Thurs., April 27, ‘Diversi-Palooza’ will be held in the library. Aimed to represent different voices throughout the community, the social mixer will bring CCI groups, student media organizations and diversity organizations together.

“We find if you’re part of some sort of group, there’s usually not cross-mixing between the groups, so we want to provide that space for groups to share resources and cross recruit students with different perspectives,” Leu said.

Caelin Mills is the student politics reporter, contact her at [email protected].