Muslim Students’ Association hosts hijab try-on

As part of Islam Awareness Week, the Muslim Students’ Association hosts an event on Risman Plaza on April 17, 2017, with the opportunity for students to try on a hijab.

McKenna Corson

The Muslim Students’ Association (MSA) gave students the opportunity to try on a hijab and explore the religion of Islam Monday as part of Islam Awareness Week.

April 17 marks the first day of a week consisting of events centered around informing students on the Islamic religion.

Students picked from a variety of colored and patterned scarves, and a member MSA carefully instructed how to properly wear the headscarf. 

Lama Abu-Amara, a junior chemistry major and president of MSA, was happy to see people approach the organization’s table on Risman Plaza to either talk about Islam or receive a hijab.

“The purpose of this event was for students to learn how to wrap a hijab and learn of its significance,” Abu-Amara said. “We want people to approach us and see that we’re open to questions and are welcoming.”

Members of MSA also held signs with the words “Am I Muslim” and encouraged people to ask questions.

Amal Alhadabi, an evaluation and measurement graduate student and member of MSA, was happy for the opportunity to teach others about Islam and correct common misconceptions.

“I want students to learn that Islam is a religion of peace,” Alhadabi said.

Alhadabi said MSA chose to celebrate Islam Awareness Week because of current events and effects they’ve had on the current climate.

Nicole Barle, a senior integrated social studies major, said she came to the event for the opportunity to learn.

“I love learning about different cultures and new ways of life,” Barle said.

Barle said she saw the importance of experiencing a different culture first hand.

“Given the current administration, people dislike people who don’t look like them,” Barle said. “By putting on a hijab, you’re able to experience what different people experience and see that they’re just like us.”

Islam Awareness Week features a number of other events such as a discussion about women in Islam, stories on the Prophet Muhammad and a campus prayer.

All events are open to everyone of any background.

“Everyone is encouraged to come and learn more about Islam,” Abu-Amara said. “Because of the current climate and potential misconceptions people could hold about Islam, it’s important for people to learn what Islam is.”

McKenna Corson is a diversity reporter, contact her at [email protected].