Rae Sremmurd to return for next month’s FlashFest

Benjamin VanHoose

Rae Sremmurd will return to campus Thursday, April 20 to headline this year’s FlashFest.

The hip-hop duo performed during FlashFest two years ago alongside Jeremih and a then-less ubiquitous Chainsmokers. Sremmurd’s latest album, “SremmLife 2,” features their hit single “Black Beatles,” popularized by the viral “Mannequin Challenge” videos that swept the internet last fall.

The lineup is rounded out by special guest Sammy Adams, who has collaborated with B.o.B. and Mike Posner.

Tickets for the show, which will be held in the M.A.C. Center, go on sale Thursday at 10 a.m. Floor tickets are $20 and $10 for upper level, and the event is only open to Kent State students. Doors open the night of at 8 p.m.

There will also be a free outdoor concert on the Student Green at 5 p.m. with performers yet to be announced.  

The announcement came hours after several teases on Twitter from the Undergraduate Student Government, the organization that decides performers to bring to campus.

The last concert hosted by USG was in October when alternative rock band, The 1975, brought its unique style to the M.A.C. Center. Last semester also saw a dual performance with pop singer Kesha and rapper PartyNextDoor, whom USG paid $100,000 and $75,000, respectively.

Last year’s FlashFest was a blend of genres, including country, rap and pop. Wiz Khalifa, 3OH!3 and Chase Rice were among the artists.

Shortly after the reveal, @KentStateUSG quickly retweeted a tweet in defense of the selection.

Below are some other reactions to the FlashFest lineup.

Benjamin VanHoose is the features editor, contact him at [email protected]