Opening of Stark veterans commons honors former dean

Kent State Stark Campus and its surrounding community gathered Thursday morning to celebrate the opening of the new William G. Bittle Veterans Commons, as part of its Veterans Day celebration.

The William G. Bittle Veterans Commons “represents a comfort zone that speaks our language,” said Lawrence Weidleman, a veteran and senior middle childhood education major at the Stark Campus.

Weidleman initially college after returning from Desert Storm, but soon dropped out after feeling different than his classmates because of they way he, as a veteran, was trained and what he had experienced.

“Campus was an awkward place because nothing resembled my recent past,” Weidleman said.

The new commons stands as a safe space available solely for the use of the approximately 160 veterans and active duty members that attend the Stark Campus. There are separate lounges, computers and couches that have all been purchased or built with $60,000 of private donations.

The commons is dedicated to William G. Bittle, who served as dean of the Stark Campus from 1981 to 2004. Bittle also served on active duty for the United States Navy from 1963 to 1969. He was also in the U.S. Naval Reserve Intelligence Program for 21 years. He retired with the rank of captain.

“He has created an incredible legacy at Stark and in all of Stark County,” said Denise A. Seachrist, dean and chief administrative officer at the Stark Campus.

Bittle is mainly recognized for converting Kent State Stark from a two-year campus to a four-year campus, where students can earn baccalaureate and graduate degrees.

“I couldn’t be more proud or more pleased to have my name associated … in that way,” Bittle said.

Contact Kristin Slomiany at [email protected] and Hayley Dillow at [email protected].