McNair Scholars Program offers opportunities to build research experiences, professional development

2019’s scholars of the McNair Scholars Program.

The mission of the McNair Scholars Program is to provide students with transformative research experiences, exceptional faculty mentorship and intentional professional and personal development. The deadline to apply for the McNair Scholars Program is March 5.

Each year, the McNair Scholars Program selects 26 students to participate in the 8-week Summer Research Institute. During that time scholars will learn principles in conducting research within their major and present their findings at local and regional conferences.

The program also continues throughout their academic year as students will be able to participate in workshops designed for networking, financial resources, preparation for graduate school.

To apply for the program, applicants must be a first-generation student who has a 2.8 GPA and meets the income guideline set by the program, or come from an underrepresented ethnic group. Students must then complete the McNair Scholars Program application and the McNair Income Verification Form.

The program also recommends that students complete a 500-word reflection on why they want to be a McNair Scholar, submit two potential recommendations to advocate for them in the program and have a copy of their 2019-2020 federal income tax return ready to submit.

Students who are still interested in applying are encouraged to do so on its website. Final decisions will be finalized sometime in April.

For more questions, please email the McNair Scholars Program at [email protected]

Cameron Aloway covers diversity. Contact him at [email protected].