Students find alternative ways to spend break

Samantha Cottrill

Spring break is just over a week away and students with no vacation plans will need to look outside campus for activities. 

The Student Recreation and Wellness Center will still be open during spring break to students who will remain on campus, but its hours will be shortened.

The KIVA, on the other hand, showed no upcoming Real Late Reels and Kent’s event calendar showed almost no events for the week.

Some students have chosen to spend spring break studying for classes and reading.

Zoey Smith, a teaching English as a second language sophomore, said she planned to read, study for midterms and write papers.

Smith said she didn’t have any plans because of class interference.

“My family is going by my younger brother’s spring break schedule, which is that weekend right before we come back, and they’re going to be gone through the next week. I’m not going with them,” she said.

She didn’t seem eager for spring break, but she wasn’t upset about it either. It’s just another part of being a student to her.

“I’m not looking forward to it … I guess I’m kinda indifferent to the situation,” she said.

If she were to go somewhere for spring break she said she would like to go to the Chicago Comic Con.

Another student plans to be proactive with his band over the break instead of going on a vacation.

Samuel Curfman, a sophomore conflict management major, said he plans on spending time with his band, Blue Radio.

“We’re playing three shows, so I have to plan for those,” he said. “I think it’s pretty dope.” 

He said he and his brother, who is also in the band, originally planned to go somewhere, but they booked shows instead.

Curfman was not upset about not going anywhere for a vacation.

“In my own special way I am. These shows are somewhere special to me. I’d rather go accomplish something that involves the band,” he said.

Other students are keeping the break simple by just going home.

Gerald Wilson, junior English major, said he just didn’t feel like going on a vacation. He said he was just going back home to Cleveland. 

“I haven’t seen my family in a while,” Wilson said. “I just want to relax.”

He said he didn’t plan anything major and he still had some homework to do over the break.

“I don’t feel bummed out at all for not going somewhere extravagant for spring break,” he said.

If he did plan to go on vacation over the break he said he would go to Guam because his brother and sister-in-law are stationed there.

Samantha is an administration reporter for The Kent Stater. Contact her at [email protected]