Sen. Sherrod Brown says he doesn’t want to be VP

Ohio Sen. Sherrod Brown speaks to a group of students in Connie Schultz’s “Writing Across Platforms” class on Wednesday, March 30, 2016. KentWired Files.

Skye McEowen

Democratic Sen. Sherrod Brown talked to Kent State students Wednesday about the climate in the Senate, the possible outcomes of the election and his stance on potentially becoming vice president.

“I’ve never been asked,” Brown said in response to a student’s question about a possible vice presidency. “It’s up to one person to ask, whoever the nominee of the Democratic party is; I assume Hillary Clinton… I don’t want to be vice president, I love being in the Senate.”

Normally, the nominee of a political party chooses a running mate in the election.

“People have said to me, ‘If Hilary Clinton asks, you have to say yes,’ but I don’t really want to do it,” Brown said. “If she asks, it’s probably a different question. I don’t seek it, and I don’t want it.”

Brown came to Franklin Hall to speak to his wife Connie Schultz’s “Writing Across Platforms” class Wednesday, where students asked questions ranging from the Supreme Court nomination to the current candidates in the election.

As far as Obama’s nomination of Merrick Garland for the Supreme Court, Brown discussed the possibility of what would happen if the nomination were brought to a vote.

He said scenarios include hearings and a vote, a hearing after the election, or nothing at all. 

“That would be contrary to what they say they’re doing because they’re saying, ‘Let the voters decide in November.’ Well the voters decided in November of ’12 when they re-elected Barack Obama with five million votes, saying that during his four years, he should govern fully,” Brown said. “Well now they’re saying, ‘Well he shouldn’t,’ but then if Hillary Clinton wins, or Bernie Sanders, and Democrats take the Senate, they want to move on Garland quickly.”

Brown said Republicans would move quickly because Garland is more conservative than a nominee appointed by Sanders or Clinton would be.

Brown also talked about his support for Clinton, saying she is the most qualified candidate. He said the possibility of the first female president is also an admirable prospect.

“We’ve never had a woman president. It’s incredible,” Brown said.

As far as the election, Brown encouraged millennials to go out and vote.

“Understand if you don’t vote, the decision is going to be made by a bunch of people who look like me instead of a bunch of people who look like you,” Brown said.

Skye McEowen is the opinion editor of The Kent Stater. Contact her at [email protected].