Oscar’s red carpet fashion inspires students

Cate Blanchett arrives at the 88th Academy Awards on Sunday, Feb. 28, 2016, at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood. 

Ile-Ife Okantah

The highly publicized 88th annual Academy Awards ceremony aired Sunday night, prompting students and faculty to react to their favorite fashion moments of the night.

“Everyone was kind of breaking the rules in current trends and when it comes to usual red carpet styles,” said Evan Neal, freshman fashion design major. “My favorite was Rooney Mara wearing Givenchy. The all white, the detail of the cutouts and her unique hairstyle paired with a simple red lipstick looked so good.”

According to a poll on Vogue’s website, Cate Blanchett was voted best dressed of the night in a baby blue Armani Prive dress and Tiffany and Co. jewelry.

Although women’s looks created a buzz, the men didn’t disappoint. 

“Leo’s tux was a great look for men in fashion. I think seeing clean and classic looks like that makes guys want to get involved in fashion,” said Cameron Hooks, junior fashion merchandising major. “Even though we can’t all wear Armani, seeing a guy who cleans up nice inspires others to do it too.”

From Charlize Theron’s plunging neckline in Dior Haute Couture to Kevin Hart’s rhinestone embellished tuxedo jacket, the red carpet was filled with fun styles.  

“I would have to say that John Legend and Chrissy Teigen were my favorite,” said Brittney Zivcsak, a senior applied communications major. “But obviously I loved Kevin Hart’s bedazzled suit.”

Dr. Gargi Bhaduri, associate professor of fashion design and merchandising reminds us that red carpet fashion is all about having fun with personal style as well as appreciating the talented stars.

“You know what, I was blown away by Leonardo DiCaprio. Over any look, I was blown away most by his speech,” Bhaduri said. “I am a very indifferent person when it comes to judging someone’s style. I think everyone wears what they want to wear. If I judge someone, they’re probably judging me as well.”

Other than being able to admire celebrities wearing high-fashion, it also gives fashion students hope that one day they could be working in the industry.

“The most important part of the red carpet is seeing that it is possible to get a job in this industry,” Hooks said. “There’s always the question of if we are going to do anything with these degrees, but seeing successful people gives me hope.”

Ile-Ife Okantah is a fashion reporter for The Kent Stater, contact her at [email protected]