Women’s basketball takes on Colgate

Sophomore guard, Naddiyah Cross, steals the ball from a Hiram College player on Sunday Nov. 8, 2015.

Ty Sugick

The Kent State women’s basketball team will begin their season this Sunday against Colgate University.

During Media Day, Coach Danielle O’Banion said the Flashes are on a mission to surprise everyone. A win in game one of the season would be a great way to send that message out to future opponents.

Colgate ended last season with a record far south of .500, only totaling nine wins last season, finishing the year at (9-22). The Raiders also struggled on the road last year, having failed to get a non-conference road victory all year.

The Raiders rely heavily on their post play and will look to senior forward Josie Stockill. Stockill was the team’s second leading scorer last season with an average of 10.3 points along with 5.8 rebounds per game.

Stockill will provide a challenge to the Flashes as they look to outrun teams, rather than compete down low in the post. Forwards Jordan Korinek and Merissa Barber-Smith will be well tested in this match-up.

This game will be huge for the maturation of Barber-Smith, as she will get her first look at Division 1 basketball.

Along with Barber-Smith there will be six other freshmen that will make their debut for Kent State. Unlike Colgate, which has four freshmen on their roster, it is clear that the Flashes are the far less experienced team in this game.

The Flashes will be successful as long as they follow three key strategies: controlling game pace, rebounds an limit turnovers.

Controlling the game pace is critical, for an up-tempo team must always set pace of game from tip to be successful. In rebounds, both teams have a lot to prove this year as both finished in the bottom half of their leagues last season.

The team who wins the rebound and loose ball battle will probably leave victorious. With limit turnovers, both teams are very similar in the backcourt and had high turnover rates last year. Like the rebound situation, the team that limits their mistakes will win. 

The Flashes seek their first win against the Raiders this Sunday. Tip off is at 2 p.m. in the M.A.C. Center.

Ty Sugick is a sports reporter for The Kent Stater. Contact him at [email protected].