Winner of Mr. Flash Pageant receives $500 for student organization

Mr. Flash pageant

Sarah Matthews

The Center for Student Involvement will host the fourth-annual Mr. Flash Pageant on Tuesday, Sept. 29 at 8:00 p.m. in the Kent Student Center Ballroom.

“The pageant is a competition between student organizations to show their Kent State spirit, so they have one male representative from their student group compete in the pageant,” said assistant director for CSI Rebecca Kapler.

The pageant consists of five rounds, including formal wear, celebrity impersonations, talent, swimwear and a Q&A round.

Along with the bragging rights of the title “Mr. Flash,” the winner will receive numerous prizes.

They include a spot in the Homecoming Parade, $500 deposited to the winner’s student organization’s account, a promotional design package from Signum Design, a week of promotion on the chalk wall in the lower level of the Kent Student Center and a trophy.

The judges for this year’s competition will be administrative assistant for the Kent Student Center Yvette Mendoza, director of marketing for Kent Apartments Chris Miller and last year’s Mr. Flash winner Andrew Cappuzzello. Kapler said the judges are looking for many qualities in a “Mr. Flash.”

“Someone who is creative, someone who has a lot of passion and spirit for Kent State and shows the work of their student organization they’re representing,” she said.

There are currently nine contestants competing in the pageant, but CSI is hoping to have 12 by the end of the week. The application for student organizations can be found online.

Contact Sarah Matthews  at [email protected].