Kent State fashion students to have work displayed at university museum

Alton Northup Reporter

The Kent State University Museum announced a small exhibition to display the winners of a student design competition hosted by the Kent State School of Fashion.

The competition, funded by long time supporter of the school Ken Robinson, invited over 90 juniors enrolled in fashion design studio to create pieces inspired by the music video of “The Stream” by Akron singer Maddie Indre. Fashion design major Annabel VanKeuren and fashion merchandising major Camryn Hall were selected as the winners from a shortlist of 13 students.

“This collection is based on self-accountability and being strong even when things may not be going your way,” said Hall. Hall’s piece consisted of a leotard, shorts and a crop-top sweatshirt, and was inspired by self-reliance when working toward a healthy lifestyle.

“I was inspired by the yoga and movement in ‘The Stream’ music video,” said VanKeuren. “I wanted to create a look that would reflect the fluid movements of yoga through draping and ruching details.” VanKeuren’s design was a blue and white, bleach-dyed span knit yoga look that featured a sports bra, top and yoga pants.

The designs will be on display in the KSU Museum’s main lobby throughout the Spring 2022 semester. Admission to the museum, which is located at 515 Hilltop Drive, is free for Kent State students.