Decorative distractions: The icing on the cake

Illustration by LaQuann Dawson

Erin Zaranec

Walking into Eastway’s private dining room on Tuesday night, the smell of sugary icing and cake was immediately apparent. Twenty-six personalized cakes were created during a cake decorating class, hosted by Kent Student Center Programming.

Isabelle Brown, a chef at the Great Lakes Science Center, is teaching the cake decorating classes. Brown taught the second of three classes on Tuesday, March 11. The next class will be held March 18.

Brown has eight years of culinary experience but has never taught a class to students before. “I was nervous coming into it…but I think it’s just nice for me personally to get out of my shy zone and spread some knowledge, even if it’s just silly stuff about cakes,” Brown said.

Students learn basic cake decorating techniques and get to customize a personal size cake during the free class. Brown said she thinks it’s a good learning experience, but she also thinks it’s a good way for students to have some fun.

Junior technology major John Camargo works for Kent Student Center Programming, but attended Tuesday night’s class just for fun. Brown is his sister and he reached out to her about teaching the course.

“I think this class gives students time to just do whatever they want, instead of following guidelines and rules like they do in their classes…it also gives them a chance to be creative and eat what they make,” Camargo said.

The class is held from 6-7:30 PM in Eastway’s private dining room and is open to all Kent State students.

Freshman pre-fashion design major Kyndall Echols attended the class with her friend Tyra Elton, a junior managerial marketing major. “I would definitely participate in this class again. It was a good relaxer and I have a really busy day on Monday so it allowed me to relax from that and it was like a mini girls night out,” Echols said.

Contact Erin Zaranec at [email protected].