The 2013 Global Health Immersion Course

Halie Rogers

Kent State’s Colleges of Public Health and Nursing offer students the opportunity to study abroad for a two-week course in Geneva, Switzerland.

The course is open to all majors but preference is given to public health and nursing students. The two-week course is from May 17 to May 31. Ken Slenkovich, assistant dean for the College of Public Health, and Gail Bromley, associate dean for academics in the College of Nursing, are teaching this year’s Global Health Immersion course.

Twenty students received the news Feb. 6 that they had been accepted into the course.  The application process is based on students’ grade point average and recommendations.

Throughout the two weeks, students will hear from international health experts about their work and will have the opportunity to attend the World Health Assembly, the annual global health conference sponsored by the World Health Organization.

Slenkovich said representatives from 190 countries will meet in Geneva to discuss a variety of health issues, such as HIV/AIDS, refugee health, youth mortality and epidemic threats like the flu.

“In addition, the students visit a number of non-governmental global health organizations, such as Doctors Without Borders, [Asia} Society, and Center for Immigration and Health, “ Slenkovich said.

Junior nursing major Courtney Clark was one of the 20 students recentlyadmitted into the course and said she is looking forward to the World Health Organization conference and the opportunity to travel and meet new people.

“It would not only be a benefit for school and furthering my knowledge but gives me the opportunity to travel to a place I’ve never been while doing so,” Clark said.

Clark said she is looking forward to what she will learn on the trip.

“I’m hoping for this trip to be a once in a lifetime experience, “ she said. “Being able to travel to Geneva, Switzerland for two weeks with other college students and friends while also earning credit for it will make for a great memories that will last a lifetime.”

Students will also visit various sights during the trip such as, Mt. Blanc, the highest peak in Western Europe, and Paris.

“The feedback I’ve gotten from students is that this is a life-changing experience,” Slenkovich said. “They get exposed to ideas that they would not otherwise know about and develop close bonds with one another while gaining insights into their own career interests.”

Halie Rogers is the nursing and public health reporter for the Daily Kent Stater. Contact Halie at [email protected].