Our View: Account accountability

DKS Editors

College costs money. There is no denying that fact. But when the university levies fees on students, especially international students who might not be familiar with the system, something is wrong.

These students didn’t know they were facing a fee increase because the only mention of it was in the Board of Trustees’ meeting minutes. More importantly, they probably didn’t know where this money was being spent or how the money could benefit them.

But this is not a problem unique to international students. All students at Kent State have fees tacked on each semester — many with obscure, nondescript names.

Students have a right to know how their money is being spent. The problem is all students are charged for various things without ever being told it is happening, so students are not educated enough to ask questions.

The university should make announcements of new and increasing fees more obvious to students. Simply mentioning it in meeting minutes isn’t enough to make sure students are aware of why they are being charged. 

As students, we need to pay closer attention and hold the university accountable. By simply looking at our bursar’s accounts and taking note of what fees we are charged, we can do so. 

Until we as students are educated about what we are paying for, we are in no position to question or change student fees.

We have to know what fees we are paying before we can question what that money is being used for. Then we can have a better idea of where our money is going and take advantage of the services we are paying for and question the use of our funds.

The above editorial is the consensus opinion of the Daily Kent Stater editorial board, whose names are listed above.