Streetsboro schools hope for passage of bond issue

Emily Moran

Streetsboro City Schools hopes to pass a $38.7 million bond issue Tuesday that would raise property taxes for its residents, bringing major changes to the school district.

The state is offering the district $24 million to renovate, build and improve Streetsboro’s facilities. If the bond issue is passed, Streetsboro City Schools will build a new high school, auditorium, all-weather track, stadium and generally upgrade or renovate its facilities.

Denise Baba, board of education president for Streetsboro City Schools, said Streetsboro’s Levy Committee, a community group separate from the school district, has been handing out literature and taking every opportunity to reach the public.

“They have put together a strong campaign to inform people and make them aware of the bond issue and the details of the bond issue,” Baba said.

Wait Primary School principal Amy Cruse said the committee has played an integral part in raising awareness about the levy.

Baba said she thinks there is a good chance that residents will vote in favor of the bond issue. She said a school bond issue or a levy is generally harder to pass because residents can say “no” to being taxed. Baba said many people in the community have been waiting for some time to see changes to the Streetsboro City Schools.

“I think folks with young kids are going to want to see a new high school and see improved facilities for their children,” Baba said.

Cruse said some residents have expressed concern over the bond issue. She said some residents feel that the school district is asking too much, but she said she feels that the money needed to make the changes in the school district is necessary.

“It’s not just a wish list of things that we want; they’re needs that have been growing over the years,” Cruse said.

Baba said the changes that would be made to the school district would be paid for through a state and local partnership. The state would pay for 35 percent of the cost while Streetsboro would cover the remaining 65 percent.

For a $100,000 home, the cost would be a little more than $14 per month in the course of a year, totalling $117, Baba said.

Baba said if residents approve the bond issue they would begin to be taxed the following January.

“I think that it’s time for this community,” Baba said. “We need the facilities. The high school will not be a Taj Mahal; it’ll be built to state standards.”

Streetsboro resident Leanna Ghahremani has two children currently attending Streetsboro City Schools. She said she was displeased with the current state of the school district and it is time for improvements to be made.

“I plan on voting yes,” she said. “I’ve lived in Streetsboro now for 10 years, and I believe this has always been an issue.”

Streetsboro resident Deb Howard said she would also vote in favor of the bond issue.

“I always try to help the kids as much as I can,” Howard said. “Even though my grandchildren are on their way to college now, I still (will) vote for the school levy.”

Melanie Reger, a Streetsboro resident and mother to two children in the Streetsboro City School District, said she feels that the bond issue should pass and she has not heard much negative feedback from residents. She said the older population in Streetsboro who do not have children currently involved in the district are slower to support the bond issue.

“I have two children in the district, and the state is giving us $24 million to help fund our project, and it would be crazy to turn that down,” Reger said. “Our facilities need updated, and it’s a great opportunity for our city.”

Contact Emily Moran at [email protected].