Students sink their teeth into the Taste of Kent

Hilary Crisan

Taste of Kent volunteer Scot Basil serves 120 feet of stromboli at the Taste of Kent event that showcased the many campus dining services Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2013. Photo by Emily Lambillotte.

Students gathered on the Student Green to sample the various dining locations on campus at the Taste of Kent Wednesday.

Dining Services hosts the Taste of Kent, a showcase of food, every fall semester to promote different campus restaurants. Students had their pick of samples prepared and displayed by restaurant chefs.

Samples varied from deli food to fresh produce, and featured restaurants included Einstein Bros. Bagels, Jump! Asian Express, Subway, Quaker Steak and Lube, Jazzman’s Café, Eastway Café and Rosie’s Diner and Market.

Students also had the option to sample from a fruit cart and an ice cream cart.

“It was great,” Eastway Café chef Tim Wright said. “Everybody really liked the selection.”

Eastway Café included samples of tequila shrimp and citrus rice to promote its pure station, which includes healthier and gluten-free options.

Wright wasn’t the only chef who thought the Taste of Kent was a success.

“It was a lot of fun,” said Claudia Peck, executive chef for Rosie’s Diner and Market. “I think it’s was great and there was a lot of great food.”

Like Wright, Rosie’s Diner and Market promoted their healthier options from their S.T.G., Simple to Go, Section, as well as Reuben sandwich sliders.

Slice, which recently opened in the Hub, served a more than 100 ft. Stromboli as well as various salads that will be served on rotation every second month. The salads support local farmers by using their produce to make the salads.

Jaime Condon, freshman education, health and human services major, was enthusiastic about the event as a whole and happy with all the samples.

“I liked the fruit market and how they cut up the fruit in front of you, so you knew it was fresh, “ Condon said. “I think it’s an awesome way to get to know what kind of food they have in the Hub and on campus.”

Contact Hilary Crisan at [email protected].