Kent State’s 11th Annual Martin Luther King Jr. Commemorative Events

Kelsey Leyva

Wednesday Jan. 16

Inaugural Support and Mentoring Fair

When: 1 to 3 p.m.

Where: Student Center Ballroom Balcony

Campus Conversations: The Power of Words

When: 7 to 9 p.m.

Where: Studio A Twin Towers

Thursday Jan. 17

Kent Reads

When: noon to 1 p.m.

Where: Library Lobby

Say What?! Dialogue Series: Dr. Amoeba Gooden

When: 7 to 8:30 p.m.

Where: Student Center Room 206

Monday Jan. 21

Just 4 A Day volunteering

When: 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Where: Meet at Hillel Student Center

* You have to register online to be part of the volunteer group. Register online here

Tuesday Jan. 22

Soup and Substance

When: 12 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.

Where: Student Center Room 206

Project Brainwash featuring Jennifer Pozner

When: 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.

Where: Student Center Ballroom

Wednesday Jan. 23

Student Organization Fair

When: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Where: Student Center Ballroom

The Game of Life

When: 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.

Where: Student Center Room 310B

Thursday Jan. 24

Keynote Speaker Carlos Muñoz Jr., Ph.D.

When: 2 p.m.

Where: Student Center Ballroom

Find out more information on each event at http://www.kent.edu/diversity/mlk-resources.cfm

Kent State University’s Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and the Kent State Latino Networking Caucus commenced their Martin Luther King Jr. Day festivities Tuesday with the Black and Brown Dialogue in the Kiva.

José Feliciano, Kent State President’s Ambassador, spoke at the event and facilitated the discussion among the panel and the audience. The panel consisted of Shana Lee, director of the Student Multicultural center, T. David Garcia, Kent State’s associate vice president for enrollment management and George Garrison, professor of Pan-African Studies.

Feliciano, throughout his presentation, stressed the importance of African Americans and Hispanics working together.

“The core purpose of this presentation is to try to understand and focus on the common ground in both of our communities,” Feliciano said.

Dana Lawless-Andric, executive director of diversity and inclusion thought the event was a success.

“I was incredibly pleased with the turnout because it’s day two of classes, and you just never know,” Lawless-Andric said. “Dr. King really represents so many different things and, more than anything, kind of pushing the dialog on issues to create a more inclusive space and place where people feel valued. I think this dialogue is a nice kick off to the commemorative events.”

Lawless-Andric is hopeful that more students will attend the upcoming events as students settle into their new schedules and advertising continues.

All of the events are free and open to the public. For more information about the MLK commemorative events, click here

Contact Kelsey Leyva at [email protected].