Men’s basketball home opener cancelled

Members of the Kent State University men’s basketball team cheer on their team during the last few minutes of the men’s basketball game against Ball State University. Kent State lost to Ball State 54-62 on Feb. 4, 2020.

The Kent State men’s basketball season opener against Alcorn State Saturday was cancelled due to COVID-19 concerns. At 9:54 a.m. an official statement was released on the Kent State Department of Athletics website. 

“Today’s Kent State men’s basketball game will not be played due to COVID-19 concerns. The health and safety of our student-athletes and staff is our highest priority.” 

The Flashes are poised for a promising season in 2020-2021. With preseason second team All-MAC Forward Danny Pippen returning, along with the arrival of 2020 All-Ohio Mr. Basketball VonCameron Davis, the team is expected to be a fun watch. 

The Flashes are home for their second scheduled game against Horizon League opponent Purdue Fort-Wayne Dec. 1 at the M.A.C. Center. Tip-off is set for 5 p.m., and you can catch the broadcast on ESPN+.

Dante Centofanti is a sports reporter. Contact him at [email protected].

SUPPORT STUDENT MEDIA 

Hi, I’m Lauren Sasala, a senior journalism student from Toledo. I’m also the editor in chief of The Kent Stater and KentWired this semester. My staff and I are committed to bringing you the most important news about Kent State and the Kent community. We are full-time students and hard-working journalists. While we get support from the student media fee and earned revenue such as advertising, both of those continue to decline. Your generous gift of any amount will help enhance our student experience as we grow into working professionals. Please go here to donate.