Psychological Services open for consultation to frazzled students

Meghan Caprez

Coming to college wasn’t an easy transition for sophomore aeronautics major Alex Rudewicz. At 17, he was nervous about leaving his home in Buffalo, N.Y., to live on his own for the very first time.

“That first week was a wreck for me,” Rudewicz said. “I had hardly any friends. I didn’t know what to do with myself or how to get involved, and I basically just sat in my room and was too nervous to go out and see what Kent was all about.”

Rudewicz is one of many students who found college life overwhelming at first. Kirsten DeLambo, a staff psychologist for University Health Services, said she sees a lot of students having trouble adjusting to Kent State.

“Adjusting to being here is very, very, very common,” DeLambo said. “For some people, that may be one piece of the puzzle in terms of their difficulties.”

DeLambo works on the second floor of the Deweese Health Center, in the Psychological Services department of University Health Services, in conjunction with the Division of Enrollment Management and Student Affairs.

Licensed psychologists are available for individual consultation and counseling sessions to discuss the hardships students are facing as they enter a college environment.

“Any student who has a minor or major problem or any difficulties with adjusting is more than welcome to schedule an appointment here,” DeLambo said. “It’s completely confidential.”

Chelsea Rodgers, sophomore interior design major, said she didn’t know Psychological Services was around when she was a freshman, but she would have sought their help if she had.

DeLambo said looking for help, through Psychological Services or not, is a good method to cope with the anxieties that come with college life.

“You do not have to stay alone with it,” DeLambo said. “At Psychological Services, we are more than happy to make the time to talk with students. Some are comfortable with that, some aren’t. Just don’t stay alone with your feelings. Get support wherever you feel comfortable finding it.”

DeLambo said friends and resident assistants are excellent contacts when trying to deal with being overwhelmed.

She said she also recommends students get involved in school-sponsored activities to meet new people to help ease some of the transition.

Rodgers said this was how she dealt with her adjustment issues.

She joined a service fraternity her freshman year, and the other members of the group were able to give her advice on her schoolwork and her social life.

Contact Meghan Caprez at [email protected].