The ‘building block’ for the future

Brad Tansey

Erin Hawe shaved her head last year to support cancer awareness.

The freshman was a part of a local group in her home country of New Zealand that combined to raise $10,000 for research.

Acts like this truly show her dedication to a team. As the only rookie on the women’s golf team, Hawe said she doesn’t want to let her team down by not doing her best.

“I really want to represent the team,” Hawe said. “I want to do them proud. I’m determined to get better.”

So far, she has done just that.

In her first collegiate tournament at the Warren K. Invitational, she finished with a score of 22-over-par 238, which was tied her for 41st place overall.

The next week, Hawe posted a 7-under at the Mercedes Benz Championship.

“For a freshman to come in and she’s already had two rounds under par; she shot 71 the second round at Tennessee, then 7-under,” Kent State coach Mike Morrow said. “We usually don’t see that right from the get-go from freshmen.”

As for Hawe’s personal expectations, she said the best she can do is give 100 percent.

“If you give 100 percent, you can’t do better than that,” she said. “I just try, and everyone on the team goes to practice. We give 100 percent and then it shows on the course. Golf is a funny game where you can have a great day and the next day can be tough, but it’s all about making those tough days.”

Hawe said she loves the team atmosphere she has experienced so far at Kent State.

“The thing I love about college golf is you’re playing for a team,” she said. “The team here at Kent is incredible. The girls on the team are not just great golfers, but even better people. I’m learning a lot from them. For that, I’m really grateful.”

Although she has participated in matches only as an individual, Hawe said she enjoys being on the course with the team.

“When you’re out there on the course, you’re representing so much more than yourself,” she said. “You turn in a number at the end of the round, but when you’re out there, you’re actually representing Kent State.

“You’re representing your coach and assistant coach and teammates.”

The golf team means “the world” to Hawe and she’s proud of it.

“They mean everything,” she said. “I’m the freshman on the women’s golf team, so they’ve all supported me.”

Hawe described herself as determined, but no more determined than any other golfer on the team.

“We all practice hard,” she said. “No one more than anyone else. We all do it for each other.”

As for the future, Morrow said he expects Hawe to take the place of graduating seniors.

“We lose five of our top six players right now in two years,” he said. “We lose two this year and three the following year, so I think she is one of the building blocks to have to keep this thing going.”

Hawe said she is excited for the future.

“One thing about this team that I love is that we are always in the moment,” she said. “Right now, I’m just right here and trying to do my best.”

Contact Brad Tansey at [email protected].