Previewing the MAC: Defense

Rachel Jones

As the saying goes, offense wins games, but defense wins championships. Here’s a look glance at the Mid-American Conference’s 13 defenses and their players to watch.

East

Akron

The Zips have the worst pass defense in the MAC, allowing 278 pass yards per game and giving up 11 passing touchdowns this season.

Look out for: Senior defensive end Mike Thomas (37 tackles)

Bowling Green

After giving up 2,118 yards in four games this season, Bowling Green is ranked last in the MAC for total defense.

Look out for: Junior defensive back Keith Morgan (2 interceptions)

Buffalo

Buffalo is tied with Kent State and Western Michigan for the third-most sacks (8). The Bulls also rank first in pass defense efficiency, allowing only 52.7 percent of passes to be completed.

Look out for: Sophomore defensive lineman Steven Means (3.5 sacks)

Kent State

The Flashes lead the nation in run defense, allowing 184 rushing yards on 102 attempts for 1.8 yards per carry.

Look out for: Senior linebacker Cobrani Mixon (31 tackles, 1 sack)

Miami

The RedHawks’ defense is big on game changers. Tied for second-most forced turnovers (11), Miami has caused five fumbles and had six interceptions this season.

Look out for: Sophomore defensive back Pat Hinkel (2 interceptions)

Ohio

Ohio is bringing a strong passing defense to the conference, allowing an average of 171.5 yards per game. This ranks the Bobcats at No.3 in total defense.

Look out for: Senior safety Donovan Fletcher (3 interceptions)

Temple

Temple has the second-best scoring defense in the conference. It’s allowed the fewest touchdowns (6) and only two passing touchdowns.

Look out for: Junior defensive tackle Muhammad Wilkerson (2 forced fumbles, 2 sacks)

West

Ball State

The Cardinals have an average defense, ranking in the middle against the rest of the conference in almost every defensive category. But with only three sacks this season, Ball State obviously isn’t putting enough pressure on the quarterback.

Look out for: Junior safety Sean Baker (3 interceptions)

Central Michigan

The Chippewas lead the MAC in sacks (12) and scoring defense. They’ve allowed an average of only 14.2 points per game.

Look out for: Senior linebacker Nick Bellore (28 tackles, 1 sack)

Eastern Michigan

Eastern Michigan’s rush defense is ranked last in the MAC. The Eagles have allowed 275.2 rushing yards per game and 15 rushing touchdowns this season.

Look out for: Senior linebacker Neal Howey (44 tackles)

Northern Illinois

Northern Illinois has the worst red zone defense in the MAC. The Huskies allow teams to score 90.9 percent of the time.

Look out for: Junior safety Tracy Wilson (26 tackles, 1 interception)

Toledo

The Rockets lead the MAC in turnovers. They’ve had nine interceptions and caused five fumbles this season.

Look out for: Sophomore linebacker Dan Molls (33 tackles, 3 interceptions)

Western Michigan

Leading the MAC in passing defense, the Broncos have allowed just 162.7 yards per game. However, Western Michigan has the worst turnover rate in the conference.

Look out for: Sophomore defensive end Paul Hazel (3 sacks)

Contact Rachel Jones at [email protected].