No Greek

Gregory Porter

We all watched at the beginning this semester as students were bombarded with advertisements trying to get freshmen (and perhaps some unknowing transfers or upper classmen) to “rush” a fraternity or sorority. The advertisements were everywhere, usually written in brightly colored chalk on the sidewalks, bearing the words, “Go Greek!” as the standard motto, followed by or following the Greek initials of the sorority or fraternity. Now, here’s an honest motto for the Greeks: “Join us and we’ll make sure you never want grain alcohol and/or a lesser substitute that may or may not contain toilet water and Keystone more toilet water.” Inspiring and accurate!

Often you’ll see representatives from each fraternity and sorority on campus handing out fliers to people they figure, after a quick glance, might fit in to the mold that they envision for their organization.

Recently I had the chance to speak with a member of the Kent State LGBTQ group PRIDE! Kent.

He said, “Every time we paint the spirit rock it is immediately covered up by a fraternity. They’re a pretty homophobic bunch. Maybe they should research their roots a bit. The Greeks of old were incredibly gay. Still kind of are (In reference to Greek Life, not people from Greece). I haven’t seen so much homoerotic behavior in men since watching ‘300.’”

The advertising for Greek Life was everywhere, and the amount of it was completely unnecessary. The kinds of people who want to join a fraternity or a sorority are the kinds of people who would seek it out. To everybody else, the advertisements are just annoying. That little scrap of “Go Greek!” material is instantly thrown in the trash. Now, we can add “Enemies of the Environment” to Greek Life, too.

Frankly, I’m sick of it. Greek Life is a popularity contest and nothing more. Worse off, it is often a popularity contest that you have to pay to be a part of. Yep, did you know that students are charged, typically in the form of dues, to be in a sorority or fraternity? Dues are essentially bills that one owes to their organization for the privileges and benefits of membership. Privileges and benefits? You’re in college! The last thing you should be doing is paying for friends! YOU’RE IN COLLEGE! There are potential buddies everywhere, and most of them aren’t in Greek Life.

For the love of all that is holy, don’t “Go Greek!” Join any other organization on campus to meet friends! Most of them won’t charge you for membership either. In fact, they want you to join! No rushing, no trying to beat out others to get in. Seriously, do anything else.

If you’re the kind of person who was clawing at the front doors to get out of your high school on the last day of senior year, Greek Life is not for you. The whole college Greek community simply serves to expand on the cliques and subdivisions that high school has already established. Hell, I’ll say it. Fraternities and sororities ARE high school.

I know, not all fraternities or sororities are booze-pounding drama fests, but so many are that I would be doing an injustice to not write this article. The point is, if you want to join Greek Life, know what it is that you are getting in to.

Now bring on the hate mail.

Gregory Porter is a junior visual communication design major and guest columnist for the Daily Kent Stater.