Student conductor connects with marching band

Shauna Carter

Band music fills the practice field by the Music and Speech Center as the Kent State University Marching Golden Flashes prepare for upcoming games and events, keeping band members and their field commanding counterparts busy.

Brian Rizzo, a senior music education major, has had four years dedication to the Marching Flashes. Rizzo is one of three field commanders with the marching band.

“Out of high school, I knew I wanted to be in music education,” Rizzo said. “Marching band was a way to stay connected.”

Rizzo said he kept coming back to the Marching Flashes because of the progression the band made each year.

“It was very appealing that each year there was something we did better,” Rizzo said. “This year as field commander really gave me the opportunity to continue with that.”

Field commanders are students who conduct the band during pregame and halftime shows. Being a field commander is a team effort and groundwork is a major part of it.

“A lot of preparation that goes into all of the duties of a field commander,” Rizzo said. “Being on our toes is a demanding aspect of our job.”

Scott Curfman, interim director of bands, said field commanders do everything from helping pick music to setting rehearsal schedules.

“Field commanders are like assistant band directors,” Curfman said.

Rizzo said what the field commanders do is not necessarily harder than what the marchers do.

“It is different,” Rizzo said. “What the marchers have to do is physically demanding and what the field commanders have to do takes a lot of preparation behind the thought process and what we have to accomplish.”

However, being a field commander does add a little more pressure when marching goes awry.

“There are a lot of people who would look up, but you are also in the spotlight when things go wrong,” Rizzo said. “So, yes there is a lot of respect, but they (the marchers) will let you know when you mess up.”

Curfman said band peers pick field commanders after a thorough and intense tryout in the spring.

“They have to direct a piece of music, teach some marching fundamentals and speak to the group about their goals for the band,” Curfman said.

When snow is falling during a game, the band as a whole anticipates difficulties in the marching, Rizzo said.

Speaking of the snow, he said, “It doesn’t necessarily make it harder to march, but it kind of creates an unpredictable environment.”

Although some nights might not be as successful as others, Rizzo is pleased with the band when as long as they’re having a good time.

“My sense of joy comes from how much they (the band as a whole) enjoy band,” Rizzo said. “If they are performing well and having a great time, then I am too.”

Aside from the marching band, Rizzo’s time is divided between two other bands as well.

“For me, I like to be in a lot of different bands,” he said. “I am in marching band, Kent Wind Ensemble, and the jazz band. Band is a large part of my day. I try the best I can to keep up with performing in band as well as schoolwork. It is something you have to get used to.”

Curfman said Rizzo is well prepared for the work field in which he desires to be in.

“He leads by example,” Curfman said. “He shows up early and stays late—he has a very bright future as a teacher.”

After graduation in May, Rizzo’s new game plan will be to find a job in the music field and continue working with music until retirement.

“My preference is to be in charge of a band but, just like everyone else, I will be trying to find a job, so I am really open to what is available,” Rizzo said. “I definitely see this (band) being in my career until I retire.”

Side Notes

The Kent State University Marching Golden Flashes will be performing at Penn State University Sept. 18, 2010

The Homecoming parade is Oct. 9, 2010 at Dix Stadium.

Nov. 21, the marching band will be performing an indoor concert in the ballroom of the Student Center around 3:30 p.m.

For more information on the band, go to: http://dept.kent.edu/band/ksumgf/mgf/index.htm

Contact Shauna Carter [email protected]