Five tips for the incoming freshman

Kaylee Remington

I was on Facebook the other day and came across an old group I joined before coming to Kent in Fall 2007. It was called “KSU class of ’11.” I couldn’t help but look at it again and read some of the stuff people had to say. Everyone announced what dorm they were living in, what their major was going to be and what kind of groups they wanted to get involved in. After reading those, I realized something: I miss freshman year.

I am now a senior, and all I can do is reminisce about how memorable my freshman year was. I was just a senior in high school, and I was nervous and excited for what the next four years would bring me. I want all of you to make your freshman year memorable like I did. It is such an amazing experience to move out of the home you grew up in and move to a new place without your parents. It’s just you and your future. Don’t just make your freshman year the exciting one, but all the years you spend here. But for now, let’s just focus on your first year.

Now, I’m not going to ramble on telling you my first year stories. Trust me, you will have plenty of those come May. I wanted to give you some advice on your first year here at Kent.

1.) Make connections. I remember high school when I didn’t want to make friends with the teachers. I only went to them for my grades, and if I was sick from school and missed a day. But it is different now.

Get to know your professors. Even if there are 300 students in a lecture class, make time to introduce yourself to your professor. Let them know who you are. I guarantee they will remember the student who was brave enough to say hello. In my first semester, I worked with my history class’ graduate assistant to make sure I could pass the next exam. I received an A because I not only worked hard, but I confided in my superiors for help.

2.) Get involved. You’ve probably heard this a million times, but I am going to be the next person to tell you anyway. Getting involved is a wonderful thing, but only if your schedule allows it. Don’t try to join everything on campus and become overwhelmed. Pick something that interests you like Greek life, sports, clubs and student media. Don’t just settle for going to class. Find something that you can have fun with at the end of the day. I joined student media my freshman year, and I’ve made some pretty great friendships. I have been working with others in my major that show the same love for writing and editing as I do. Remember, make sure your activities work around your schedule.

3.) Manage time. This is something you’re just going to have to get right. That is why my advice to you is purchasing a planner. I would say this is one of my best investments. My whole life is on this thing and yours will be too. Printing off your schedule too and putting it somewhere will allow you to look at your next day of classes and figure out what you can get done. When will you eat lunch, or when will you catch up on reading? Will you study during the weekends? And if so, is morning, afternoon or night the best time for you? You need to decide how your schedule will benefit you the most.

4.) Kent State. Take pride in the school you are attending. A lot of changes are happening on campus, and it’s all for you. Think about all of the great programs the school has to offer. Think about all the activities they have on campus. This is your new home, take it in and enjoy it.

5.) Learn. This is my last piece of advice and it’s pretty simple. You came here to learn, to gain an education. Ask questions! I haven’t met anyone who was punished for asking a stupid question, because there isn’t one. Take a look at all the classes you can take, all the opportunities. Besides taking the required classes for your major, find a class that fancies your other interests. You’re spending your money here, take advantage of it.

That’s all from me. I hope you enjoy your academic years here at Kent, and I’ll see you on campus.

Kaylee Remington is a senior magazine journalism major and a columnist for the Daily Kent Stater. Contact her at [email protected].