Goodbye, Kent State

Anastasia Spytsya

I started my series of columns with welcoming everybody to Kent State by stating that every student of this university is very lucky to be a part of our diverse community. I haven’t changed my mind. I just can’t believe that I am about to start writing my final words for the newspaper that has been my friend for the past four years. It means that I have reached the end. I hardly can believe it, by the way.

Kent State has been my life for the past four years. Four years ago, I was a lost freshman on this campus who couldn’t speak much English. I didn’t know where to go to fix my computer, I didn’t know how to schedule my classes by myself, I didn’t know that I would fall in deep love with Kent State. Four years ago when I looked at the required list of courses to graduate, it seemed to be impossible to do. I was thinking to myself, “Darn! Four years! 2010 will never come.” Well, guess what? It did in a heartbeat.

It’s 2:32 a.m. right now and by now I have re-written this column four times. I still cannot come up with one theme or story that could summarize my feelings about Kent State. I don’t know what was more exciting and interesting: eating at Rosie’s at 3:30 a.m. with best friends, scaring black squirrels, having heated but friendly arguments between College Republicans and Democrats, attending sporting events, walking in silence every May 4 night, spending countless hours in the library looking for that one particular government document for that paper, learning from our brilliant professors, pulling all-nighters to get an A in class, enjoying Jazzman’s coffee, reading the Stater, meeting new people from all over the world who inspired me to become a better person and to learn more, having a column due every week and getting e-mails from my readers (thank you, guys!) or everything else that was my life for the past four years.

There is really no theme or story that can begin to summarize my time at Kent State. None of whatever I just listed can completely retell my journey at Kent State. And I refuse to discredit all the people who changed my life and all of the life-changing experiences this university has given me by not listing them in this column. To make the story short: This school has given me everything I ever asked for.

To all underclassmen, take off your gray glasses and look around. I can guarantee that you will see a wonderful world at Kent State full of greatness. Take pride for being a Kent State student.

To all seniors: I hope each of you takes some time between now and graduation to think about exactly what your four years has meant to you and how they will take this experience to better yourselves in the future.

Dear Kent State, and everyone and everything who make up our community, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for the unforgettable and priceless experience. I am absolutely honored to be an almost Kent State graduate and if I could go back in time, I would not have done a damn thing differently.

To the class of 2010, I congratulate you. We did it!

Anastasia Spytsya is a senior Russian translation major and political science minor

and columnist for the Daily Kent Stater.

Contact her at [email protected].