Graduate student to reveal focus group research today

Mariana Silva

After conducting four focus groups with black and Hispanic students last October, graduate student Dametraus Jaggers will reveal the finds of his research today at “Addressing the Crisis: Supporting African American Males at Predominately White Institutions.”

“I think the results will shed some light on the hurdles and barriers that these students have to overcome in pursuit of college degree attainment,” Jaggers, who is pursuing a master of education in higher education administration and student personnel, wrote in an e-mail.

Jaggers will deliver his presentation from noon to 1:30 p.m. in the Multicultural Center.

Jaggers said during the research process, he focused on the experiences of Kent State students with faculty and staff inside and outside the classroom, as well as their perceptions of being students at a “predominately white campus.”

“The primary goal of the research is to design an initiative to serve as a support system for African American, Latino American and Native American male students at Kent State University,” Jaggers wrote.

Jaggers will present programs that were successful in supporting students at other institutions and will discuss students’ experiences and perceptions and ways in which the university can support and contribute to students’ academic and social success.

— Mariana Silva