Our View: It’s not over, yet

DKS Editors

When the flu vaccine became available this year, we suggested that everyone go out and get it. Many of you listened (maybe to your mothers and not to us) and got the vaccine. But we’re not out of the woods quite yet.

Now is a great time for catching just about any virus, be it the common cold or H1N1. The temperatures are dropping, and students are huddling up in their dorms and apartments – and the more time spent inside with friends, the higher the likelihood of picking up whatever they caught in a classroom or dining hall.

Although the chances of catching a virus are greater, we have one thing going for us: The H1N1 vaccine is finally here.

As of right now, the vaccine is only available in the nasal mist form. The university received 1,000 doses of the vaccine and already has more on order, at which time more clinics also will be available to students. Currently, the vaccine is available only to students living on campus and those who work in food services at Kent State.

For those of you living in the residence halls – go get the vaccine. It’s free, and it will take mere moments out of your day. And for those of you living off campus (patiently waiting, we’re sure), make sure you also take advantage of the vaccine when it comes available.

But these vaccines aren’t for everyone. There are some who shouldn’t get the vaccine for health reasons, and we do want you to be careful and pay close attention to what the nurses suggest at these clinics. Guidelines can be found in today’s article on the subject as well.

So keep on washing your hands, covering your mouth when you sneeze or cough, getting enough sleep and eating right – but don’t forget that one extra step to stay healthy: Get the vaccine.

The above editorial is the consensus opinion of the Daily Kent Stater editorial board whose members are listed to the left.